The estate of Schawpark House is situated in Sauchie – or ‘New’ Sauchie to be strictly correct.
Robert the Bruce granted the lands of Sauchie to Henry de Annand in 1321. Henry was the Sheriff of Clackmannan. A tower was built on the land in about 1335. The present tower was built before 1431 for Mary de Annand who married James Schaw of Greenock. A village grew up around the tower. Eventually the Schaw’s moved to a new house which stood in the grounds of the Golf Course. The ‘new’ village grew up just to the south of the Estate and became known as New Sauchie.
James Schaw was Comptroller to the King. The Schaws were one of the most influential families in medieval Scotland and were governors of Stirling Castle until the reign of James IV. The Sauchie estate passed to another branch of the Schaw family, who c1700 built the mansion of Schawpark, and then in 1752 by the marriage of a daughter, Marion Schaw, to the Cathcart family. Old Sauchie House was still occupied, probably by tenants, until it was demolished around 1930. Schawpark was sold to the earls of Mansfield in 1826 and was eventually demolished in 1961.